Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Our Elf

Apparently there is this Christmas tradition of having a little Elf hide throughout your home to watch the kids for Santa.  Since we aren't putting our tree up this year because of what we call Kacy's 'fiesty mode', and I haven't put up any Christmas decor yet, including our Advent calendar, and I haven't pulled out any of our Christmas story books yet, I thought perhaps the kids would like to have a new tradition to celebrate this year.

Meet Isabelf (get it....Isabelle + Elf= Isabelf)
 
I purchased our Elf at Target yesterday.  I could get the Elf alone for $12.99, or I could buy it in a gift pack with the book telling of the Elf on the Shelf legend for $29.99.  I just got the Elf.  I knew I could simply google what the exacts of this legend were all about later to share with the kids.
So, when the kids got home from school, I pulled our Elf out of the Target bag and showed it to the kids while the ate their afterschool snack and watched their afterschool tv.  They were excited.  They declared our Elf was a girl, since it had a skirt on (I did not realize they game gender specific....).  They said we need to name her via Family vote (Isabelf beat Shelly and KayElf by a 3-2 vote), and they knew she would watch over the kids to report to Santa any naughty or nice behavior observed.  Each kid played with the Elf a bit, cuddled with her, Megan introduced her to all of her dolls, etc.

This morning, I finally got around to learning more about this legend.  It seems I have already commited some serious Elf on the Shelf mistakes.
#1.  This Elf is magical, and no one is ever to touch it (meaning the children).  If the Elf is touched by a child, it loses all of its magical powers, and cannot fly each night to the North Pole to report to Santa.
#2.  The Children should not think/know that the Elf was purchased from Target for $12.99.  They are to believe it just magically shows up one morning to watch them.
#3.  The Children should not be told that Mom and Dad will hide the Elf each night, nor should the 10 year olds be told that they can take turns hiding it.
#4.  Before throwing the box the Elf was packaged in when purchased from Target, be sure there is nothing in it that you need, such as a registration code to register the Elf on www.elfontheshelf.com

Thankfully, on Pinterest, I stumbled upon a link that teaches you how to restore the magic of your Elf if touched by a child.  I just need to sprinkle some glitter on it ( and then run the roomba).  And, since Megan is the only Santa believer amonst the kids, I think we are still safe letting the boys take turns hiding the Elf a few times.

No comments: